Saturday, February 9, 2008

The One About Ernie (Part 3)

1.  INT.  SUNNYSIDE SHOPPING CENTRE.  DAY.
Woolworths. We see CHLOE (nine), and her sister RUBY (seven), who we saw earlier in The One About The Bogeyman and The One About Hal.  They are looking at Bratz dolls.  Behind them, a woman TRACEY (early 30s), accompanied by her daughter SHANNON (12), is talking on her mobile as she walks up the aisle. 

TRACEY
No, but listen ..  everywhere I go,
I got this old git trying to run me over.
I'm not jokin' yer, Davinia, he nearly
drove over my toe.  I swear.

TRACEY walks purposefully up the aisle, with her daughter in tow, past CHLOE and RUBY.

2.  INT.  SUNNYSIDE - WOOLWORTHS.  DAY.

The skeletal ERNIE appears in his motorised wheelchair at the end of the aisle, and approaches CHLOE and RUBY at some speed.  CHLOE and RUBY are talking.  ERNIE stops quite abruptly to talk to them.

CHLOE
I think you should get that one.

ERNIE
(Interrupting them, slightly menacing)
I saw you before, didn't I?

CHLOE
(Turning round)  Excuse me?

ERNIE
No?

CHLOE
.. I don't think so.

RUBY
How fast does your wheelchair go?

ERNIE
Oh, quite fast.

RUBY
How fast?

ERNIE
Well, it's supposed to have a top speed
of ten miles per hour, but ..

RUBY
Ten miles per hour ..

ERNIE
But I can't say I've ever been at that.
Possibly when I visit my son in Brighton.
He's always telling me to slow down.
Mind you, it doesn't come cheap, you
you have to pay for it.  Some of them
are like snails.  I like a bit of pick-up.

RUBY
How much does it cost?

ERNIE
Well, this is a Cordoba, which costs 
around three thousand pounds.

RUBY
Three thousand pounds!  You're kidding!

CHLOE
You were robbed.

ERNIE is visibly deflated.

No comments: