Thursday, March 20, 2008

The One About Shannon's Shoes


INT.  SUNNYSIDE SHOPPING CENTRE.  DAY.
TRACEY (early 30s) is walking purposefully towards Sainsbury's in the Central Concourse.  A couple of paces ahead of her is her 12-year-old daughter SHANNON.  We saw TRACEY and SHANNON when they were nearly run over in The One About Ernie (Part 3). They pass Currys, and as they do so we fleetingly glimpse footage of the start of the Iraq War - the night-time 'Shock and Awe' bombardment of Baghdad - on the TV.

TRACEY
(Trying to talk to her daughter)
What, darlin?

SHANNON
(Mostly to herself)  I'm talking to
myself, actually.

TRACEY
What?

SHANNON
(Not turning round, walking on
ahead) I said, I was talking to
myself.

TRACEY
Shannon!  (She stops) Come back
'ere when I'm talking to you!

And then suddenly TRACEY realises that her daughter is wearing her shoes.

TRACEY
(Squawking)  You've got my
trainers on!

SHANNON
(Turning to face her mother)
'Cos mine don't fit!  I told you,
but you don't listen to me! 

TRACEY, furious, marches off.

SHANNON
Don't walk away from me!

No comments: